Monday, May 16, 2011

Moab XTERRA





















OK, so I have forgiven myself a little for my poor performance this past weekend, have accepted some of my many excuses for more than just lame excuses, but maybe reasonable explainations for why I didn't do nearly as well as I was expecting.

I had been feeling very unwell the week leading up to the race; with bad headaches, and overall achiness and I was extremely tired!! I felt so tired and sore on the rides that it was all I could do to push through an easy ride.

I was excited about the swim though, my swimming this year has been feeling so good, and my times have been promising.....so I have NO idea why my swim was this slow!! This is slower than it has been the last 2 years!! I think Shawn told me that there were 15 girls ahead of me....so I started counting as I headed up the hill out of transition....I was feeling pretty good, I had counted 9 girls before I hit the half way mark. I was riding fairly well....riding everything, but not riding everything fast enough, on the way back out, the ride got harder, the climbs were steeper, rockier and longer....I would finish one nasty ledgy steep climb, and see another and then another right up ahead.....again I was still riding everything, but not with enough power and speed, and not catching up to anybody else.


I was looking forward to the run, I suffered through the first few km's before getting into my groove, the second lap of the run was the best I had felt the whole race, I was able to catch another racer and was chasing down another as we rounded the lake toward's the finish line....closer and closer I was getting, but I didn't have quite enough time left to catch her! Ended up just 7 seconds behind his racer (which would have placed as 3rd overall female :o(


Also the last km, I noticed my nose starting to drip....thinking it was just your usual excerise

runny nose, I kept wiping it quickly with my hands, it wasn't until just before the finish that I glanced down at my hands and saw that they were covered in blood!! As I crossed the finish line, a man ran up to me, introduced my as Dr somebody (really can't recall his name) he whisked me away to the medic tent, and put me on a cot. I guess I was quite the sight, with blood running from my nose and my face and shirt covered in blood...didn't realize that the taste of blood in my mouth....was actually blood!!

My worse injury is the lousy blister on my foot...this started burning 4km's into the run....and I am limping around pretty good today on it :o(
So...today, I have decided not to give up, but to keep training......I don't think that this race was indication of what I can do.....I am not sure how fast I can be, but I know I can be faster than that!!





No comments:

Post a Comment