Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Wasa week!

In the money this year at Wasa!! Yeah!

Start-finish area at the Wasa Triathlon!
Wasa Lake----getting ready....it really is a beautiful spot out there!

Avery waiting in the wings for her Year-end Gymnastics show to start!
The kids playing on the beach while I raced. Avery really wanted me to win this race, I told her that I wasn't going to win, and she said "Mommy, how about if we just speak to all the other racers before the race, and ask them to let you stay in the lead...then you will win!!"
Swim start
Shawn was the lead kayak for this race
Coming out of the water
with a disappointing swim time.
Yeah! Top 5!!
By far my best finish in this race!
It was a busy week preparing for the Wasa Lake Triathlon. I did a little more volunteering this year, some grocery shopping, bag stuffing and setting up the start-finish area with Sherri. And of course helping out with Tri-kids on Saturday, as the 4-5 year old Pod leader!! I love this job!! These kids are so excited, and just so darn cute!!
I rushed home right after this event, just in time to go to Avery and Jackson's year-end Gymnastics show. This is Avery's favorite thing in the entire year!! As you can tell she was very excited! I decided to not put her in the kids triathlon this year, but there looks to be a fun one in Fernie in September that she might do.
So...finally I get to start actually thinking about my Sunday race....by now it is late, and should actually be in bed....but that is not the case :o)
Sunday---5:30am came early :o) I was tired!!
Pretty smooth morning though, the Wasa triathlon runs smoothly and easily for check-in, body marking and chip-pick up! Very happy to see the velcro strap back this year!!
We had 90 mins after setting up our transition before our race time, but I love this time, gives me enough time to wake-up, calm my nerves, and at the same time get the excited nerves going, the nerves that give you some energy!! This is also the time when I get to chat with everybody I know doing the race, and everyone is so excited, that it pumps me up a bit!!
9:10am -----GO TIME!!
I felt like my swim was going well.....thinking back maybe I was veering off course and having to correct my line a few times, as I was frustrated to see my time coming out of the water. I was really hoping (expecting) it to be 2 minutes faster!!! :o(
I was on a borrowed bike for this race---I was on Rob's BMC tri (and his super space tri helmet)
I felt fast out there, passing other fast looking girls---but looking at the results, my bike split was still a little behind where I thought it would be.
My legs were sore going on to the run (I think from bike positioning that I am not used to) but I was still able to catch a few girls, and the run felt better as it progressed. I had one girl pass me, with only a few km to go, but this girl was flying, so OK!
Looks like I had the third fastest run split!!
This is where it gets good!! With only 1 km to go, I was pretty confident I could get by one more runner, I was quickly reeling her in at this point, and as we rounded the corner to the finish line (and not knowing what position I was in...but thinking I might be around the top 5, and after missing the podium in Utah by only 7 seconds, was damn sure it would not happen again!!)
I sprinted past her!! I am not a sprinter, and I probably wasn't really sprinting at this point, but whatever, it felt so good, and as I crossed the finish line and heard it announced that I was the 5th woman to cross the line, I was so happy I almost cried!
I have to keep this initial reaction alive, because the more I look at the results, and analyze my race, I get less and less happy with my result!!
It was an awesome day! Awesome people! Awesome event!!
Now to start mountain biking!!
Cheers :o)

No comments:

Post a Comment