Sunday, March 13, 2011

Whistler Xterra Nationals





Whistler Nationals - Sunday September 5th 2010
Swim- 1.5km Bike - 30km Run -9km.
Well I am almost done my catching up from last summer's races. There wasn't much between Canmore and Whistler, a local race the weekend before...which I should not have raced. Looking back at the few rides leading up that local race, I was feeling so tired and slow, of course like any obsessive racer, I thought it was because I needed to ride more! I was getting slower, not faster. That day was pouring rain and cold! I knew that very night that I was sick....and it got worse over the week, even with bombarding my body with a myriad of natural cold and immune busters!!
Went to the Dr the day before we left and it was another case of bronchitis....but the plane ticket was purchased and hoping to get better the last couple days before the race! I didn't get better....
But it was a nice weekend getaway with Shawn, kids were at my moms...and it was our 5 year wedding Anniversary on Saturday! So splurged on a private room at the hostel (we had a dorm room booked originally!! ) and made a nice pasta dinner at the hostel and went to bed really early!

Race morning, I was feeling pretty awful, but still feeling like I could do this! It was a gorgeous morning at Alta Lake, set up went well and I felt quite relaxed actually...and I was still hoping for a good showing at this event.
My swim felt good....last pro out of the water, but not as far back as I have been in the past.
Heading out on the bike, I felt like I was doing OK....it was a tough course, tough steep loose rocky climbs, really tough single track sections, off my bike and running through the big boulder spots, but the rest was good, felt like I was doing OK, thought I must be getting closer to a couple of the girls, that was until I saw Shawn at the start of lap 2.....he didn't say anything (like "you're catching them" or "they are right there") so I shouldn't have asked if they were close.....because his answer was "no" Boo.... felt punished during the second lap, but a consistent ride (only a minute behind Christine and 3 behind Danelle) so I know I can do better!
The run was tough, so tough. I haven't been getting much running in, so I don't know why I expect to still go out and have a fantastically fast run, you can't get away with that in this company of racers! The start of the run out of transition was fun, great trail system with little ramps, bridges and logs to help me forget how rotten I was feeling, after this it became harder with long steep sections and then a long run (probably 3km...felt like 10) on the road back to the finish at Nita Lodge. I just suffered through this part, it was torture, felt like I wasn't even moving, and certainly wasn't moving very fast.....but down some stairs and into the finish....yeah, I was done and almost passed out when I stopped and couldn't breathe and then started hacking up a lung!!
Well very disappointing, but with lack of training and being quite sick.....I am not sure what else was to be expected?!
I love this sport though and I would like to do better and I would like to be competitive in the Pro Cat.....so I will do what it takes next year to make that happen!

No comments:

Post a Comment