Monday, March 21, 2011

Racing or childbirth, which is more painful?




I remember when I was pregnant with Avery and how confident I was that I was going to "kick ass" at this labor thing....I figured I was strong and able to handle pain well!
To say the least, Avery's delivery kicked my ass!! Looking back, I know that I was not prepared for it, no amount of my cycling or running training could help me with this process!! I think I was only a few cm's dilated with Avery's labor and when a contraction would hit, I would get up and run around saying "go away, go away" well, surprise, surprise, this didn't help at all!
So, I learned my lesson, and even before I was pregnant with Jackson I started "training" I read books and blogs that would help me prepare for my next birth, books with positive birthing stories, inspiring, strong women who had learned not to be afraid of this natural occurrence.
Jackson's was a planned home birth, and it was an amazing experience, Shawn and I felt confident, relaxed and happy to be at home waiting for Jackson. I had prepared myself mentally and physically for this birth and wasn't scared, I was looking forward to the experience and encouraging the contractions instead of fighting them!
I think unfortunately we are bombarded with images of screaming women, and horror stories of this painful torture we are about to embark on.
Like with racing, if we are not prepared mentally and physically we are going suffer, and I find suffering different than the manageable pain we endure repeatedly for races!
I enjoy the challenge of both and think that both although very hard, can less painful if you are prepared and stay focused on the positive outcome that you have visualized.
Still... think I would rather race than give birth every week.

No comments:

Post a Comment