Thursday, October 21, 2010

Wasa Lake Triathlon June 2010



Ok! I am a little behind in my blogging! So I will try to do some major catch up!
Wasa Lake triathlon, an amazing, race just outside of Cranbrook BC, where we live! This is a somewhat big race for me, being my first race of the year, and also the local event, and it is my goal to be the first local female finisher, and I achieved this goal again this year, but by much!
It was a bit stressful leading up to the event, tons going on with work, volunteering and a bike catastrophe! 3 days before the race, I was told by the http://www.favorit-cycles.com/ local bike shop that my carbon fork on my custom built Norco road bike was broken, and that I shouldn't ride it! The day before the race I borrowed a road bike from the same bike shop, had time to adjust the seat height and fore and aft....and ride it around the block a few times before trying to get some sleep before an early wake up the next day!
I had a good race, felt pretty relaxed going in the water, I was hoping for a sub 28minute swim. I have been swimming twice a week, every week since October, probably doesn't seem like a enough for other racers, but I was very proud of this! I have always disliked swimming in the pool, and have been lucky if I hit the pool a half dozen times in other full training years!!
So I went for a 32 min 1500m swim to a 28:32! So, slowly than I was hoping for, but set me up for a much better position on the ride from previous years!
I headed out on the bike, not as comfortable on my new bike, but was feeling pretty good! Not as many people to pass after a faster swim! I don't think I had the best bike, I wasn't catching anyone after the turn around and was feeling pretty tired and deflated!
My bike was 1:11:56 the other local strong female competitor, Megan had a 27:56 swim and 1:09:26 ride. I was expecting to catch her on the bike especially since I knew I was close after the swim, but she is super strong this year!
I felt good heading out on the run, but not for long, my run felt forced and tired, didn't think I was moving very fast! Fun though,lots of runners on the course, with some sprinters still out there and some of the Men's field as well! As the turn around approached I saw Megan a little sooner than I was hoping and was getting worried that I may not catch her this year! I kicked it up a notch, and was chasing her down, but without seeing her in front of me, I could just picture that I was gaining on her!
Sure enough as I rounded the corner on to the residential street, and the last long stretch and last feed station of the race, I saw her! Yipppeee! was able to catch her just after the feed station and it was all I could do was just hope that I hadn't dropped my pace, as I didn't feel like I was going very fast! I didn't look back, I just ran! We headed back on to the path...so close to the end, yet so far, soon I could hear the finish line, and they see the finish line! I still didn't look back! I crossed the line in 2:24:04. My fastest Olympic results, third in my age cat, 10th overall female and top local female! Mission accomplished!

1 comment:

  1. No doubt, Top Local Female!! Way to go Tanis. Love your writing.

    ReplyDelete