Thursday, October 21, 2010

Wasa Lake Tri-kids!





Avery's first triathlon was the day before mine, she completed this triathlon, (and I use the word completed loosely) just 2 weeks shy of her 4th birthday! She had been super stoked to do this race, it is all she talked about for months leading up to it! She chose to wear her two piece pink suit and life jacket for the swim. The life jacket was a last minute decision, as she is super confident in the water. I was the pod leader for the 4-5year old group, giving them to low down on the race course and rules and leading them to the swim start. This is where Avery when entering the water realized that I wasn't going to be leading her through the swim as well, and again I use the word swim loosely! Avery stood there as the rest of the group walked across the 50m course. Shawn headed out and coaxed her across. She was still pretty excited about the bike ride when she came out of the water. She had chosen to ride her Skuut bike for the course, I don't think it was the best choice but oh well! So...I am watching her head out on her first of 5 laps around what would be Sundays transition area...she wasn't moving too quickly :o) As she headed out on her second lap, there a little fireball heading out on her run! This girl was serious man! So I was directing the kids on the run course as it turned around right away, when I got back to watching Avery, I couldn't see her on the bike course. "Shawn" I asked "where is Avery?"
"She's done her bike" he replied. "done! How can she be done?!" So he went on to inform me that after 2 laps she had enough riding and wanted to run, so she headed out on her run.
I didn't see her again until she was coming into the final stretch and then rounding the corner to the finish....her run was amazing! She sprinted the entire way! So she cheated...she was proud of herself, I was very proud of her!

No comments:

Post a Comment